I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, May 04, 2006

New Replacements: "Message To The Boys"

Oh, this is soooo good: classic 'Mats flavor and a rocking sound on this, the first new Replacements song in 16 years. I am loving it. The song was premiered earlier today on the Jim Rome show, which seemed an odd choice to many (apparently he is a sports radio guy), but his passion about music came through as he talked about his time working on college radio and his love for the Replacements.

Message To The Boys - The Replacements

(rip from streaming online radio, up for a limited time)

I heard Stinson's interview, and Westerberg was also supposed to call in. Anyone catch the whole thing? I am anticipating the forthcoming album Don't You Know Who I Think I Was: The Best Of The Replacements, due June 13 from Rhino Records.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Eric said...

So nice. Very good on a night that the Bulls are eliminated from the playoffs and the Cubs are getting spanked (again).

 
At May 04, 2006 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kick all of our asses all of the time.

Seriously.

 
At May 05, 2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Gamer C. said...

Sweet!! I like this! Great find.

 
At May 05, 2006 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great post!

OK, the opening riff sounds a little derivative of Paul's "Dyslexic Heart" off the Singles soundtrack, but otherwise this is a great -- dare I say "feel good" -- melodic rock track that picks up where "Don't Tell A Soul" left off. And it actually has a looser, less anxious feel than a lot of the songs on that album (on which they were trying so so so hard to break through).

I listened to it three times before writing this comment. Happy Friday indeed!

 
At May 05, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Daver -- Totally agree with you on the "Dyslexic Heart" thing. I kept waiting for the Na Na Na Na's to come in.

Great tune. Great job!

 
At May 05, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

awesome! are they doing an album?

 
At May 05, 2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos to MPLS. Thanks for the Mats, Husker Du, & Soul Asylum & that Purple Rain guy, too.
It will be hard for any of these acts to reform and be vital I'm afraid. Nostalgia is a mixed bag & the sign of a dying culture.

 
At May 06, 2006 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, once again you have made a little pixiegirl very very happy... xox

 
At May 09, 2006 3:20 PM, Blogger Steve Brezenoff said...

Oh man, I am totally flipped out. Thanks SO much for posting!

 
At May 20, 2006 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went over a neighbor/friend's house last night and we got to talking about regional beers - what one does when watching bball. He mentioned Grain Belt. Told him I never had it, but saw a photo of the mats standing in front of a Grain Belt billboard. This am got msg from friend attaching "Message to the Boys." Ain't life grand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter