I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Happy Hour with Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan has revealed himself to be one cool mofo of a DJ, in addition to all the other things he does so well. On his new show with XM Radio, he does programs based around a theme. In addition to recent hours focused on mothers, cars, and weather, his most recent show was about drinking -- in his own words: "The world of liquid libation, booze, sauce, hooch, white lightin’, firewater, hard stuff, pick-me-up, gin ‘n’ juice, moonshine, canned heat." You get the idea.

Overall, the music he selected for this show has a nice old-timey twangy feel to it: reminiscent of old wooden bars, rubbed smooth by a thousand elbows, facing rows and rows of dusty bottles. You can almost hear the jukebox in the corner.

Bottoms up.


PLAYLIST:
"Ain't Got The Money to Pay for this Drink" - George Zimmerman & The Thrills
"Wine, Wine, Wine" – The Electric Flag
"Don't Come Home A Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)" - Loretta Lynn
"Daddy and the Wine" - Porter Wagoner
"I Drink" - Mary Gauthier
"Sloppy Drunk" - Jimmy Rogers
"I Ain't Drunk" - Lonnie The Cat
"It Ain't Far to the Bar" - Johnny Tyler & His Riders of the Rio Grande
"Rum and Coca-Cola" - Andrew Sisters
"One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" - John Lee Hooker
"Bad Bad Whiskey" - Amos Milburn
"Who Will Buy the Wine" - Charlie Walker
"Buddy Stay off the Wine" - Betty Hall Jones
"Whiskey, You're the Devil" - Clancy Bros and Tommy Makem

Plus excellent, informed, interesting, assorted commentary from Dylan (obviously) interspersed.

ZIP FILE OF DYLAN’S BROADCAST

The whole show is a fun romp - I love themes. Dylan’s show could be one of the best things I’ve heard lately. I will definitely drink to that.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At May 17, 2006 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! What a romp. I've so been wanting to hear this. You wouldn't, by chance, have the other episodes available, would you Heather? Have I mentioned that yours is my favorite blog?
Take care.
-Eric
witchnose@comcast.net
P.S.By the way, we need to compare notes on our recent Roger Clyne shows - his here in Spokane was great!

 
At May 18, 2006 9:52 AM, Blogger Sam Ritter said...

Very cool. Thanks tons...

 
At May 18, 2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between this and the BBC Springsteen broadcast, you are killin' it this week, Heather. Many thanks. Lossless recordings of all of the Dylan shows (thus far) are up on the Dylan torrent site (http://bt.dylantree.com/torrents.php), but for something like this, I greatly prefer the MP3s.

 
At May 18, 2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I have also been enjoying the Dylan shows. I love the old stuff, and I also loved how he threw some LL Cool J into the Mothers Day episode.

 
At May 18, 2006 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm with frank. I found your site while looking for the BBC Springsteen show. I come back and find this?! Awesome! You are so bookmarked!! Thanks!

 
At May 18, 2006 7:57 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I wonder when the cease and desist will come from the station :)

thanks again

 
At May 18, 2006 8:08 PM, Blogger heather said...

oh Mike! don't curse me! :)

 
At May 18, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said...

Maybe I should break down and get XM. I love Zimmy!

 
At May 19, 2006 5:46 AM, Blogger Mike said...

sorry I'll shut up now :)

just delete the comment to get rid of the incriminating evidence

 
At May 19, 2006 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is just awesome. sit down kids and learn from the master. this is what music is. stop listening to sufjan & arctic monkeys. just do what bob says. he knows best. -dave

 
At July 21, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger neonspecs said...

Listen to my show on UCLAradio.com Mondays 2-4pm pacific time resuming August 7th. For the summer, we're taking a break from themes but during the school year each week has a theme and country spotlight, i.e. one week was about Trains and the country was Brazil. etc. You can listen from anywhere through the site. You can send in requests or suggestions for themes to automaticstapler@yahoo.com I hope you tune in and enjoy it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter