I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, April 16, 2006

"Shut up, Al Green"

The incomparable Al Green turned 60 last Thursday (April 13), and if I had been up-to-date on my Page-A-Day calendar, I would have posted this then. But, alas, I am always a few days behind.

The occasion gives me an excuse to post up my absolute favorite Al Green recording. It's a cover of The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," available on the 2003 compilation Soul Tribute To The Beatles. It is magnificent in its stylish, loose soul groove, and #1 in my book for several reasons:

#1 song to get that "unh" dancing action goin' on in your living room to
#1 use of syncopation (check around 0:52)
#1 song to start a mixtape with
#1 studio banter at the beginning of the track
("We got the FEELIN' now!" "-Shut up, Al Green.")

Brilliant.


"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" - Al Green

5 Comments:

At April 16, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger not veronica said...

Ha! Love it. Thanks!

 
At April 16, 2006 7:23 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

alright, i'm gonna try it - but that doesn't mean i'm gonna like it! al green? doing the beatles?

 
At April 16, 2006 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060415/en_nm/pearljam_dc_1

Nice article about Pearl Jam

 
At April 17, 2006 1:30 AM, Blogger Miss F said...

thanks for sharing this s0ng! Must admit that I dislike that beatLes song, but Al green made it so seXy...

I CAN't STOP!

 
At April 18, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger The Trick said...

This is one of my favourite covers ever and when I was looking for it recently, I couldn't find my CD copy. Thank you so much for posting this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter