I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Re-formed Lemonheads sign to Vagrant

The Lemonheads to me represent a slice of mid-'90s goodness that will forever evoke high school memories of new white Converse and cutting class to go to Harry's Deli for lunch.


After several years of Evan Dando doing the solo thing (and putting out some great stuff, I must say) Vagrant Records announced last week that the Lemonheads are reforming and signed to their label, which also has been home to Paul Westerberg, Eels, The Futureheads, and The Hold Steady.

From their news section:
"The recently re-formed Lemonheads are currently in the studio putting the finishing touches on what will be their eighth studio album in a career that spans over two decades... Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Evan Dando is co-producing the album with drummer Bill Stevenson (Descendents, Black Flag), and the band is rounded out with bass player Karl Alvarez (Descendents). NYC-based Dando self-funded the project and has been recording in Stevenson’s Colorado studio off and on during the last year."

The press release contains a great quote from Rich Egan, the president of Vagrant Records:

"The thing I remember most about Vagrant's first year is being locked up in my apartment, drinking coffee, stuffing 7"’s into envelopes and listening to It's A Shame About Ray on cassette all day, every day. If it wasn't for that record, we probably would've left the apartment eventually and given up the label. Nobody writes songs like Evan Dando, nobody sings likes him...the new songs are incredible. He is in top form."

In honor, here are two excellent live Evan Dando shows that I have just been waiting for a reason to post. The first one (from Glasgow in 2001) is a lovely walk through pretty much every Evan Dando/Lemonheads song that I love, great setlist. The second (from Ludlow's in Ohio in 2000) has a different lineup, and is stocked full of some pretty funny and fabulous covers. I don't know what got into Evan that night, but he was all over the map and I like it.

Evan Dando, King Tut's Glasgow, Feb 18, 2001 (zip link at end)
01. It's A Shame About Ray
02. Down About It
03. The Turnpike Down
04. The Outdoor Type
05. Paid To Smile
06. The Great Big No
07. Big Gay Heart
08. Favorite T
09. Hospital
10. Being Around
11. The Same Thing You Thought Hard About Is The Same Thing I Can Live Without
12. Hard Drive
13. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
14. Into Your Arms
15. Confetti
16. My Drug Buddy
17. Hannah & Gabi
18. Ride With Me
19. Stove
20. Rudderless
21. It's Up To You (featuring Ben Kweller, pictured)
22. All My Life
23. $1000 Wedding
24. Different Drum (Linda Ronstadt, right?)

DOWNLOAD EVAN DANDO AT KING TUT'S IN GLASGOW



Second show: Evan Dando - Ludlows Bar and Treehouse, Columbus, OH 12-14-00 (zip link at end)

01. Confetti
02. Hannah & Gabi
03. My Drug Buddy
04. It's A Shame About Ray
05. The Same Thing You Thought Hard About Is The Same Thing I Can Live Without
06. Frying Pan
07. All My Life
08. Whoops
09. Like A Rose (Lucinda Williams cover)
10. Side Of The Road (Lucinda Williams cover)
11. The Turnpike Down
12. Down About It
13. Favorite T
14. Rudderless
15. I Don't Care (Ramones cover)
16. Who Loves The Sun (Velvet Underground cover)
17. Jetstreams (Eugene Kelly cover)
18. Hate Your Friends
19. Homos (The Frogs cover)
20. Frank Mills
21. Don't Fear The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult, minus the cowbell)
22. Paint
23. Backstreet Girl (Rolling Stones cover)

DOWNLOAD EVAN DANDO AT LUDLOW'S IN OHIO



Enjoy! I am looking forward to seeing what the new Lemonheads will sound like, in a new musical era of sorts from the last time they released something.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At April 30, 2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! Great post, and great news! I first heard the Lemomheads in '92 - my wife and I were having some problems, and I had moved out for a few months (we're fine to this day, by the way!). I had gone cd shopping as therapy and bought "Ray" and Juliana Hatfield's "Hey Babe" - what an awesome 1-2 punch that was! Can't wait to hear the new stuff! Thanks Heather.

 
At April 30, 2006 8:55 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I know. The Lemonheads are back, well, Dando is back and with two of the Descendents backing him up, it could very well be damn good.

 
At May 01, 2006 12:00 AM, Blogger F.J. Delgado said...

"Into Your Arms" will always be one of my favorite pop songs, glad to hear the Lemonheads will be back and recording new stuff.

 
At May 01, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Are We There Yet? said...

oh from that first setlist, $1000 wedding is a gram parsons' song that evan dando covers amazingly well. thanks a heap, as usual and really, both your pete yorn and latest ryan adams posts were excpetional not to mention expansive. nice.

 
At May 01, 2006 4:02 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Heather you post great stuff. And being somewhat of a Luddite still - the zip file thing is easy to do and DL. Thanks. You have great ttaste (just not sure aboout the PearlJam thing ; ))) - thanks again!

 
At May 01, 2006 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news . . . .

 
At June 08, 2006 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links. That Ludlow's show is one of the best -- especially Backstreet Girl. Like Witchnose, I also discovered "Ray" and "Hey Babe" at the same time. Paid $5.00 for a JHatfield concert, and she happened to be opening for the Lemonheads.

 
At June 10, 2006 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you xxxxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter