I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, March 25, 2006

You want more Springsteen? Well bring it, baby. Bring it.

Wow, huge interest in that last Springsteen post - traffic set a new record for the Fuel blog. Thank you for all of your heartfelt comments, I am just glad to see that my emotional ramblings about beauty and madness made some sense to you as well, and that y'all understood the essence of what I was trying to say.

Oh, and how beautiful was that little Pearl Jam trio of songs? I loved 'em the best, Vedder's quavering and earnest renditions, especially of No Surrender, just get me.

Lots of you guys sent me tons of cool Bruuuce-related mp3s. So, here goes again, round two of covers with The Boss:

(LINKS RE-UPPED 11/17/06)

Rain King --> Thunder Road - Counting Crows (gorgeous!)

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City - Bowie

I'm On Fire - Tori Amos


And then a slew from the UNCUT Springsteen covers CD (thanks Mike!) - Disc 1. Some of these are good, others are kind of ho-hum, pale imitations of the original, with all the soul sucked out of them, but you be the judge:


Thunder Road - Badly Drawn Boy
Atlantic City - The Band

Cover Me - Thea Gilmore
Streets of Philadelphia - Marah
Book of Dreams - Dion
Nebraska - Dan Bern
Tougher Than the Rest - The Mendoza Line
Racing in the Streets - Townes Van Zandt
I'm on Fire - Big Country
Stolen Car - Patty Griffin
For You - Greg Kihn
Jackson Cage - John Wesley Harding
Born to Run - Suzy Quatro
Fire - Link Wray
If I Should Fall Behind - Grant McLennan


Or, you can DOWNLOAD DISC 1 AS A ZIP FILE

CD 2 has Jesse Malin doing Hungry Heart (got it), Steve Earle doing "State Trooper," and The Knack with "Don't Look Back." Anyone have it?

And now I definitely feel done with Springsteen covers for a bit. I crave the original, the real thing.

*************************************************
BONUS: Kevin Smith writes about his love of Bruce on his blog: "For years, I tried to deny the Boss – simply because I was a quietly rebellious Jersey lad who refused to dig on Bruce simply out of a sense of Central Jersey pride. But by the time I was twenty, I couldn’t escape the fact that I, too, dug Bruce." Read the whole excellent entry.
*************************************************


No retreat, baby. No surrender.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At March 25, 2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Jennings said...

Heather . . . you rock.

 
At March 26, 2006 7:14 AM, Blogger D. said...

Hi Heather...great post!

If you want, I have a version of "I'm on Fire" by Johnny Cash. It's SO good!!

(I know you're sick of Springsteen's covers, but I had to tell you, this one is amazing)

 
At March 26, 2006 10:32 AM, Blogger walkathon said...

Speaking of Springsteen covers, been lookin' for ages for Mike Love's cover of "Hungry Heart." Anyone care to share?

 
At March 26, 2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Nathaniel said...

you're my boss, baby.

 
At March 26, 2006 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that halloween, alaska does the best cover of state trooper. absolutely incredible

 
At March 27, 2006 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Is that Counting Crows song from a bootleg? The sound quality is great.

 
At November 10, 2006 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where'd you get the Counting Crows song? It is great and they do a great job at Thunder Road! I listen to this at least once a day and it is the first song in my workout set.

Can I get any more tunes from this CC set? It is crystal clear.

 
At November 10, 2006 12:26 PM, Blogger heather said...

Hi Dan,

Slogged through the email and found the original guy who sent me this. He wrote back:

"Unfortunately that was kind of a random download a long time ago and I
don't remember where it came from. If I remember correctly, Adam
Duritz mentions a couple of the opening band names in the banter at
the end (not on my own computer right now so I can't check)... if so,
you could probably get a pretty good idea of when and where the show
happened based on the opening acts. Good luck!"

 
At November 15, 2006 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's an old post, but I just picked up the latest Solomon Burke CD "Nashville" (produced by Buddy Miller) and it has the best Bruce cover I've ever heard...an absolutely scorching version of "Ain't Got You". He takes a few liberties with the lyrics but it's all good. Listen to it all the way through and let it build - it's a killer.

 
At November 22, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis Costello recorded an excellent cover of "Brilliant Disguise." I think he recorded it as a demo of songs that he suggested that George Jones cover.

 
At July 21, 2007 8:07 PM, Blogger gorjus said...

Was drunk and looking for Thea's excellent and desperate "Cover Me"! Not only did I dig it up, I got some wonderful commentary (read your other Bruce post, too). I'm yr new fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter