I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

World Music Wednesday

Today's focus on World Music Wednesday is "Songs You Know, In Languages You Don't."

I got the idea from Coverville, which always features a mind-boggling array of amazing covers (I wonder how he does it?), and is the best podcast you can find if you are a covers-whore like me. Enjoy!

Buddy Holly (Weezer cover)
Bidê ou Balde (Brazilian)

Rock El Casbah (Clash cover)
Rachid Taha (Algerian)

Tu Perds Ton Temps (Please Please Me - Beatles cover)
Petula Clark (British, but sung in French)

A Mi Manera (My Way - Paul Anka/Frank Sinatra cover)
Gipsy Kings (French)

A little trouble with editing two of the mp3s, so my apologies if you get more than you asked for. If you are playing them in iTunes, I specified for it to start and end at the correct places, but other software you may get a little extra at the beginning and end of the song than I intended. The perfectionist in me cringes, but, hey, what can you do?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At March 03, 2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "coverville" tip... I'am also a cover-junkie.

 
At March 03, 2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the replacements zip and also th westerberg. your blog rules and so do the pre WB mats

 
At March 05, 2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

nothing wrong with being a covers whore, since I'm one myself, hehe. thanks for these. gonna check them out when I got some time.

 
At May 25, 2006 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like it a lot, but isnt "a mi manera" in spanish? im studying it (spanish not gipsy kings) at the moment. id been looking for it for a while acutally, we lost my dad's gipsy kings cd when we moved house!

 
At May 25, 2006 10:03 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hey, anonymous. Yes, the song is in Spanish, and I always assumed that the Gipsy Kings were from Latin America or Spain, but the "(French)" was referring to where the artist was from. The Gipsy Kings started in Arles, in Southern France.

 
At March 15, 2007 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the Gipsy Kings are french, although they don't sing in french... It is funny that they brought back "My way" to the country where it was born (birthname : "Comme d'habitude") !

 
At March 20, 2007 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always a fan of Peter Gabriel's German work. Shock den Affen and Jetzt Kommt Die Flut or Spiel Ohne Grenzen. It puts a new twist on songs you already know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter