I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

New Van Morrison: Pay The Devil

Van Morrison's ten thousandth album, Pay The Devil, was released today, and while it is definitely the country album he promised, it's still Van Morrison doin' what he does best: singing big warm songs that make your heart grow two sizes (or was that the Grinch? either way....) and make the world turn a little slower.

Much of his new album I don't personally care for, but some of you more country-leaning folk will like the lazy, twangy feel. It is an interesting combination of clear and distinctive voice of the so-called "Belfast Cowboy" combining with very classic country sounds, reminiscent of Hank Williams (who he covers on several tunes), old Johnny Cash, or Patsy Cline.

One song that I very very much enjoy, though, is actually a cover of an old Chuck Willis number:

"What Am I Living For" - Van Morrison

Morrison makes this track less country-western (but still a languid treat), and has a good dollop of soul in it with a hearty piano base. It's a front porch, barefoot, August sunset tune. I feel like I should pour some Southern Comfort and slow dance around the dusty floorboards. Snag this one.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 07, 2006 9:41 PM, Blogger c said...

i will refrain from making a snarkalicious van comment. he is an amazing artist indeed. thanks for the tune.
peace

 
At March 08, 2006 3:03 AM, Blogger psychacid said...

Neat blog.

 
At March 08, 2006 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather:

You have a lovely smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter