I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday Music Roundup

"Don't Listen To The Radio"
The Vines
Here's the new one from Australian rockers The Vines, which NME calls "garage rock's equivalent of an acid bath." Jumpin' straight-driving rock with handclaps. I like it much better than the other new single, Gross Out, which I mentioned a few weeks ago. This one will only be up for 48 hours, so snag it fast. Their new album Vision Valley comes out April 4 (or April 3 for you Brits).

"Take A Message To Mary"
(Everly Brothers cover)
Teddy Thompson (with Linda Thompson)
Being the son of British troubador Richard Thompson (sometimes called "The Bob Dylan of Britain") leaves some mighty large musical shoes to fill. But Teddy Thompson does a stand-up job in his own right, having released a great sophomore album called Separate Ways. Here is a hidden track from the end of the CD, a lovely old-fashioned sounding duet with his mum. Dad also plays guitar on five tracks, and fellow second-generations songsters Rufus and Martha Wainwright join Teddy for a song. Nice acoustic songwriter's album - oh, and the album is not as twangy as this song. Don't worry.

"Sewn"
(live on Radio One)
The Feeling
This one's a very pleasant piano-based tune with great hooks from The Feeling, a London five-piece reminiscent of Coldplay, Supertramp, or even a little Chicago. I did think it was funny how one reviewer said it made him want to 'gouge his eyes out with salad tongs,' but he just must have been having a bad day 'cos this is good stuff. Some of the best na-naaing I've heard in a while, this one sticks in your head (but in a good way). They just finished a small UK tour last night with more dates coming in June in anticipation of their debut album release later this year.

"Breakup Breakdown"
Rich Price
A beautiful, drowsy middle-America charmer from Rich Price, who was born in Nigeria (to British/American parents), and has lived in Africa, Asia, and England before settling in San Francisco. But this song evokes a far slower, less-globe-trotting pace of life. The swirling pace, gentle slide guitar in the background, husky vocals, pitch-perfect harmonies make me feel like I am wrapped up warm in a nice fuzzy blanket (like the lyrics suggest). Rich Price has been making great music for the past five years along with his band The Foundation. Like one of my other favorites Ryan Adams, Rich Price has recently shared the stage with Phil Lesh, this time at Slim's in San Fran for a Katrina benefit show. Check out his album Miles From Anywhere on iTunes or CDBaby, or visit him on MySpace.

"Tidal Wave"
(live on KCRW)
David Gray
Oh. This song. Maybe I've been in an admittedly melodramatic mood lately, but this is such an achingly beautiful, elegant little song that it almost hurts to listen to it. Originally from the Lost Songs CD, I am posting this live version (from KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic) up today in honor of the fact that I am seeing David Gray tonight in Denver and greatly looking forward to it. Two of my good friends saw him in a tiny intimate private concert with KFOG several years ago when he was just breaking on this side of the pond, but I've never seen him so wish me luck, I'm goin' in.


Bonus News: Did you hear Kevin Smith is making a Clerks 2? It's scheduled for release this summer, the day before my birthday (August 18), and you can follow the progress on their blog. I wonder if the soundtrack will be as era-capturing as the 1994 original.

2 Comments:

At March 13, 2006 3:01 PM, Blogger coxon le woof said...

I'm dreading Clerks 2.

I fear it'll be to Clerks what Phantom Menace was to Star Wars - a stain on it's good name.

Love the blog by the way!

 
At March 14, 2006 9:19 PM, Blogger c said...

love the david gray tune - and your concert review is great. first row! that's a good night for sure....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter