I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Just whap it like this

So I get to make my percussion debut this weekend with a friend's band who was in need of some rhythm. I am playing the djembe, which is African for "I have no idea how to actually play it." I have apparently scorched the skins at rehearsals, garnering nothing but accolades, but truth is, I don't know what I am doing.

Here is where you come in. I figure out of all of my musically astute readers, there must be someone there who can help with the two things I am looking for: a) some sort of lesson in technique, be it on the internet or just some instructions from you or b) a few good songs I can listen to intently where the djembe is used and get some ideas that way about different sounds I can make. Right now my rhythm is good but kind of one-dimensional.

But did I mention how FUN IT IS?!?!

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger David Emprimo said...

You might start with these: http://www.rhythmweb.com/djembe/
http://djembelfaq.drums.org/vIV.htm

Let us know when the recording contract comes through. [g]

 
At March 15, 2006 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Djembe is awesome.

I play it with the youth music group at church every sunday.

Good times. You'll pick it up.

If you have a sense of rhythm, just keep trying different things. Different hits on different parts of the drum create a variety of sounds- that's obvious, I know, but seriously try it out.

Keep up the awesome blogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter