I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Happy birthday Sam Cooke

Today is the 75th birthday of Sam Cooke, one of the sweetest, purest soul voices I know. Born Samuel Cook in 1931, he added the "e" to the end of his last name later in life - he thought it added class. As a Browne-with-an-"e" myself, I have to agree. Classy.

Starting as a gospel singer, he gave the world 33 years of his music before he died in 1964 - the victim of a motel shooting whose details are still disputed. What a loss; think of all the beautiful music he still had inside.

There's a sweeping new biography about Cooke out now, "Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke" by pop music writer and Elvis chronicler Peter Guralnick. I have heard excellent things about it, and intend (!) to read it this year.

I know I said this before, but Sam Cooke always sounds like slow-dancing barefoot in the kitchen, especially this song. It is absolutely my favorite by him:

"Bring It On Home To Me" - Sam Cooke

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 23, 2006 12:51 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Wow...that's seriously one of my favorite songs of all-time. Sam Cooke was brilliant, and nowhere moreso than on that song. You got some damn good taste!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter