I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Happy birthday Elvis Aaron Presley

Anyone else feel like a peanut-butter-nana sandwich?

Hard to believe, but today Elvis would have been 71. I know this because he is listed as my friend on facebook (oddly enough, Elvis Aaron Presley is Staff at Texas Arlington), and his birthday popped up on my reminder screen.

To celebrate the special day, I dove into an enormous number of Elvis covers from which to make my blog selection (you know I love covers, come on). When I started examining my musical collection and trolling for new covers, it was amazing, really, how basically everyone feels that it is necessary to cover an Elvis tune. Here are a few of my favorites.

"Can't Help Falling In Love," Pearl Jam (takes an old standard and throws in a little rockin' punk good time. From their 8/15/00 show in Memphis.)

"Suspicious Minds," Pete Yorn (Still makes me smile because it was the first song I got to publicly sing in front of a lovely bunch of people. Thanks Otters!)

"Can't Help Falling in Love," Eels (simple, elegant, heartfelt. Amazing)

"Love Me Tender," Bruce Springsteen (ok, Bruce, if you insist)

BONUS:
"Stranger In My Own Hometown," Elvis himself
This is just plain rockin'. One of my favorite fat Elvis tunes ever.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 08, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Styeiles said...

Happy Bday to The King

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter