I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"And everything's cooool, and everything's smooooth (hey, that's smooth)"

Must be the repressed club-kid in me, but lately I am lovin' me my mash-ups (when an artist lays two different tracks over one another to mix them seamlessly together). Soulwax (aka 2 Many DJs), the Belgian pioneers of the mash-up sound, have combined some diabolically opposed songs and artists, but somehow it sounds great. Following the success with y'all of the Beatles/Beasties mash-up that I posted last month, some of you are into this action as well. Admiiiiit it.

Most of these are off of their albums As Heard On Radio Soulwax, which, as one reviewer put it, "From start to finish, this album contains those moments where you have to check the tracklisting to find out if what you are listening to is ACTUALLY what you think you are listening to." Check out Soulwax/2 Many DJs albums on Amazon.

I find it superb for dancing around the house, if nothing else.

- Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) vs. Kraftwerk (Number/Tour De France) - one of the earliest Soulwax mash-up efforts. It's the strings, and then here comes that industrial beat...

- Loveshack vs. Uptown Girl (B52s and Billy Joel)

- God Only Knows vs. Billie Jean, Part One and Part Two (this one comes in two parts, Beach Boys meet the gloved one. Hilarious!)

- No Fun/Push It (Salt 'n' Pepa - did I spell that right? - and The Stooges. Really.)

5 Comments:

At January 18, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the Love Shack vs. Uptown Girl is SO much fun! I was singing along to both of them and loving it.

 
At July 17, 2008 4:03 PM, Blogger Brad said...

links dead!!!

 
At July 17, 2008 4:13 PM, Blogger heather said...

Hi. That's because it is from January 2006.

 
At July 17, 2008 4:44 PM, Blogger Brad said...

re-up? 2 years, no biggie, just can't find that kraftwerk vs beatles song anywhere!

 
At October 03, 2008 2:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really need this mash-up. My life depends on it. Please repost or send to tokyostory@gmail.com. I would be eternally grateful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter