I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

To: Elliott, From: Portland

Musicians from the great city of Portland, Oregon (where I have never been, despite being a California native - shameful!) are teaming up to release an album of Elliott Smith covers. From the Sweet Adeline fansite:

"To: Elliott From: Portland, a tribute to the late Elliott Smith, will be released February 7, 2006 on Portland-based independent label Expunged Records . . . The compilation features notable Portland bands The Decemberists ("Clementine"), Helio Sequence ("Satellite"), The Thermals ("Ballad of Big Nothing"), Swords ("I Didn't Understand"), Dolorean ("The Biggest Lie"), and Sean Croghan ("Hard Times"). "Hard Times", the song chosen by Croghan, a close friend and former roommate of Smith's, is previously unreleased."

For you, one very pretty track from the album; the Clementine cover. Now I am not yet all fawny over the Decemberists like it seems the rest of the blogosphere is, but I have to admit that this track is quite good. There is a wonderfully warm "crackle and pop" sound, and some melancholy harmonica throughout, which *always* gets me (you want to get me, write me a song with harmonica and/or strings. Easy.).

"Clementine" - The Decemberists

Lots of good stuff coming out February 7th!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 28, 2005 12:51 AM, Blogger douglas martin said...

i love the "ballad of big nothing" cover by the thermals. it's an added surprise that kathy sings lead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter