I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Pearl Jam Live Anniversary Mix

Okay, so I didn't have this blog on October 22, so this is a one-month late post in honor of the FIFTEEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY of the first Pearl Jam show (under the name Mookie Blaylock) at the Off-Ramp Cafe in Seattle on 10/22/90. I know, how has it been 15 years? Does this mean I am getting old? Holy crap!

So here is a little mix of some of my favorite Pearl Jam live cuts and covers.


(DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE MIX AS A ZIP FILE HERE)

Smile
(Barcelona 11/21/96)

From the 1996 Pearl Jam Christmas Single Vinyl
It is impossible to listen to this version of this song without smiling. I've never heard such a combination of growling screams with harmonica. I love the churning feeling of this song. "I miss you already..." - listen to the Spanish crowd singing along throughout the entire song, it gives me shivers.

I could just stop the collection after that last track and go home satisfied, it's *that* good. Man. But, one song does not equal a mix, and there is so much good stuff out there....

Beast of Burden
(Brixton Academy in London 7/14/93)

Pearl Jam's very loose interpretation of the Stones get-down-with-your-sexy-self classic. They obviously take this humorously. The best line, in true self-effacing not-a-rock-god style, is "All I want is for you to make love to me...that's just in the song, I don't mean it."

Thin Air
(Benaroya Hall in Seattle, 10/22/03)

This one is in here because of the funny little guitar mess-up on the solo by Stone Gossard and how everyone gets a laugh out of it. Ed comments, “There was no chance of getting away with that one.” As soon as the song ends, you can hear Stone play the solo perfectly ("See?") and then you also hear Mike do the same, rubbing it in. Ha! Even guitar gods make mistakes sometimes. Stone still rocks my socks off.

Timeless Melody
Ed Vedder with Death Cab For Cutie (11/09/2004 in Seattle)

While not technically a "Pearl Jam" performance, Vedder and DCFC do a nice cover of The La’s song Timeless Melody. I find it to be a sweet blending of voices, with Vedder's richer deep voice and Gibbards pleasant gentle one. Great comment from Gibbard at the end: "You know, sometimes I wish I could talk to the 14 year-old me and tell him what the 28 year-old me was doing. Cuz I don't think he'd f***kin' believe that shit right there!" I believe I would feel that same way, Ben.

Do The Evolution
(Maui 2/21/98)

Switching gears from dreamy pop, let’s face a wall of guitars and a screaming, angry, almost manic Ed. This version of DTE sends chills up my spine so I put it on here. Second night of the Yield tour, they open with this cut, with THAT riff being the first notes heard. Here’s the thoughts of a friend who was there: “McCready's unexpectedly flailing around the stage like he used to in 1992, Stone's over on his side, leaning back, slicing at the strings like he does when he's playing his best, the crowd unifying the whole experience by screaming.” It’s gonna be a good night.

I Am A Patriot
(Tibetan Freedom Concert, 6/13/99)

Another cover, this one originally by Steve Van Zandt. But I don’t think Van Zandt ever rocked it like this. I’d heard PJ do this track live before, but it was always much slower in keeping with the original. This one is significantly better than the original (sorry Steve), and all punked out – jump around, you Tibetan freedom-ers! One of my favorite tunes to play on the 4th of July.

State of Love and Trust
(Singles Release Party, Park Plaza Hotel Ballroom in LA, 9/10/92 )

Fittingly this excellent live cut comes from the premiere/release party for the Singles movie, with its ace soundtrack, of which this gem is a part. Starts with a nice tag from Mudhoney's song "Overblown," about Seattle - "Everybody loves us, everybody loves our town," and continues to blast the eardrums of all the Hollywood executive-types gathered to fete the film. Their three-song set ended with Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell, among others, all getting up on stage with Pearl Jam to belt Rockin' In The Free World.

It’s OK
(Jones Beach, NY, 8/24/00)

Dead Moon cover
Because I am sucker for a good singalong. And this is a good singalong.

Rearviewmirror
(Saturday Night Live, 4/16/94)

Because a good live rendition of Rearviewmirror leaves you sweaty, breathless, and drained, but exhilarated in your soul. This is one of those. This is a tight rendition from ’94 when they played it with simmering anger (but because this is live on TV, we get the homogenized lyrics of "I gather speed, you're so lucky with me"). I have this on video still, and I can picture the way Vedder turns his head after the line, “I am not about to give thanks (No!)….” and almost spits in anger. And he nails the emotion on that drawn-out “rearviewmiiiiirooooor…” at the end of the bridge, and I love the way Abbruzzese nails the build on the drums at the frenetic end.

Hunger Strike/Leash
(Sorpasso, Italy 2/18/92)

Okay, had to add one more track for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is THE SCREAM that kicks off Leash. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up. This is an early, early version of Leash, one of the first times they performed it live, and it is just out of control. Secondly, this is a beautiful (almost) a capella rendition of Hunger Strike. Finally, it is in my beloved Italy and I love the enthusiasm of the tifosi italiani (Italian fans) - listen to the dude wailing the back-ups to Hunger Strike! This was when Pearl Jam was playing for mere hundreds, and this particular venue was overpacked (in Italy? never!). The enthusiasm comes through in the music, and you can almost picture the roiling, sweaty crowd. I wouldn't have wanted to be down in the front for this one . . . Okay, yes I would have.


And *that* is why I love them.

Labels:

24 Comments:

At November 23, 2005 9:30 AM, Blogger Chris C. said...

Absolutely perfect and amazing. Where did the 15 years go? Thanks for the great post.

 
At December 13, 2005 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porch?..a 10th anniversary tape AND NO PORCH?!

 
At December 24, 2005 11:22 AM, Blogger heather said...

hmmm..anonymous. well, it is not a PJ retrospective, it is some of my personal favorite tracks. porch *is* awesome, but I chose to leave it off. I feel Porch doesn't always translate well to recorded audio, it is better live (like the time in 95 that I saw them play and Vedder climbed the scaffolding during it. Way better than a recorded version).

 
At February 06, 2006 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a frequent reader but infrequent downloader, I ask in all humbleness if the MP3 of PJ and Gibbard doing "Timeless Melody" could be sent to me. Tried downloading it and its not working. I'm a huge huge huge fan of both DCab and Pearl Jam. Please help!!!

best -
Jim (Milwaukee, WI)
jrhanke@yahoo.com

 
At April 29, 2006 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mix was very nice. Thank you. Am I weird for thinking Yield was the best PJ studio album--even better than Ten? Sorry, random thought, just wonderin.

 
At May 30, 2006 8:54 PM, Blogger mr. wall said...

Great blog and a fantastic post. However, I believe that the "Timeless Melody" MP3 is actually Death Cab for Cutie w/ EV from their show 11/09/2004 in Seattle rather than the Kissimmee (http://www.theskyiscrape.com/setlists/display.php?id=627).

Great mix though, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!

 
At October 17, 2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw this and downloaded... great mix - thank you very much...BTW...are you going to Bridge School?

 
At October 17, 2006 4:53 PM, Blogger heather said...

Yes anon I am. Sunday. SO EXCITED. Happy coincidence of my timing to my CA visit.

 
At November 20, 2006 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

complimenti per il mix!!
bye
Francesco.

 
At November 20, 2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

volevo anche ringraziarti per ile belle parole sull'Italia...saluti da un italiano del sud.
Francesco (Bari,Italy).

 
At November 28, 2006 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, found this via the red mos. board thanks for the great download

 
At December 04, 2006 3:32 PM, Blogger FiveAgainstOne said...

Thats a bit creepy. He will probably try and sell you stuff now. Anywho, Damn, Leash/Hungerstrike is awesome. I gots to track me down that hole bootleg.

 
At February 07, 2007 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You from a Pearl Jam fan in India. A great compilation!

 
At April 17, 2007 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ganz wunderbar...vielen Dank

 
At April 17, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger Helman Taofani said...

Nice blog. Definitely my favorite blog. Do you have any subscription facilties?

Anyway, thanks for zillion of cool songs...

 
At April 18, 2007 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

felicidades por tu blog, es perfecto!!!

 
At May 12, 2007 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for that Heather. I was in that Barcelona show in '96... it was SO amazing... we did a 13 hour road trip (one way) by bus to be there, but it was all so worth it. I remember being completely voiceless after the show having sung from the top of my lungs for more than two hours every single song... You put a SMILE on my face today, thanks.

 
At June 25, 2007 8:43 AM, Blogger fatpig said...

OH RIGHT!!! LET ME EAR IT AS QUICKLY AS I CAN! THIS IS PORTUGAL CALLING...

 
At August 02, 2007 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That version of State is awesome because almost half of it is overdubbed with Ed's vocals from the album version. It's a pretty sweet little treasure - Well done.

Though, I wonder if the unedited version is out there somewhere . . .

 
At August 17, 2007 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out this site! http://boots.forum2go.nl/ LOADS of audio and video bootlegs!!! Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Korn, Deftones, SOAD...

 
At December 27, 2007 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've done it again Heather! a visit to your place is always special! xx

 
At July 03, 2008 1:43 PM, Blogger Wulfchld said...

I just discovered your blog through a random PJ search. Thanks for the work you're doing. I attended my 4th show this year in D.C. and had one of those 'hair-on-the-back-of-the neck" moments in 2006 during the opening 'Release' singalong. It still happens every time I hear it. Keep the Faith!

 
At July 30, 2008 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discover this as well...love it! can't seem to get any of these amazing songs to play though...any chance of fixing that??

 
At December 12, 2008 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reup of the zip file would be greatly appreciated. Great site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter