I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dr. Dog at Denver's Hi-Dive on Saturday (with Delta Spirit and Hacienda)

Saturday night was a fantastic night for shows in Denver. I split my time equally between the Hi-Dive and the Gothic and caught a few superb and passionate performances.

First up, Hacienda opened the night at the Hi-Dive, in a sold out show with Dr. Dog and Delta Spirit. I didn't know what to expect from this band of Mexican-American brothers (+1 cousin) from San Antonio, Texas, but their sound fit in nicely with the serrated retro vibes of their tourmates. Their 6-song demo landed in the hands of Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys (who is quite the producer lately), and their debut album was recorded in his Akron, Ohio studio with members of Dr. Dog. Loud Is The Night is out now on Bomp Records.

She's Got A Hold On Me - Hacienda
(also stream the delicious "Hear Me Crying" on their MySpace)


Next up was Delta Spirit, who I already raved about here, and were just as good as I had hoped. I smiled a ridiculously huge smile throughout their whole set. They are heading out on the road with none other than the fantastic Nada Surf in the coming months; be sure to catch them if you can.

Two pics, then a video below (in the low light, but how great is that apt trashcan-percussion lid?):

[all photos from the first two acts here]

"TRASHCAN" - DELTA SPIRIT (LIVE IN DENVER)



Finally . . . I left. No, really. Not out of spite for the wonderful Dr. Dog from Philly, but because the Dandy Warhols were taking the stage over at the Gothic. That's a story for another day. Luckily, I stumbled across a wonderful local taper who recorded the Dr. Dog set! If I close my eyes, spill a beer on my foot, and turn up the heater it's almost like being there.

DR. DOG IN DENVER
09/27/08 - HI-DIVE
The Old Days
Hang On
The Way the Lazy Do
Army of Ancients
Ain’t It Strange
The Girl
The Breeze
Fool’s Life
From
The Ark
My Friend
100 Years
My Old Ways
The Beach
The Rabbit, The Bat, and The Reindeer
Worst Trip

(Encore)
Easy Beat
Die, Die, Die
Oh No
Fuck It


ZIP FILE: DR. DOG AT THE HI-DIVE

Taper Notes:
- Some PA/bass distortion was present in the later part of the show.
- Members of Delta Spirit were on stage for 2-3 songs.


[thanks to the awesome local Flat Response for taping!]

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At September 30, 2008 5:24 PM, Blogger Ted said...

Sounds like fun but you missed one heck of a show at Red Rocks - Sigur Ros didn't so much at Red Rocks as perform with Red Rocks... a truly stirring showing by the gentlemen from Iceland.

 
At September 30, 2008 5:32 PM, Blogger heather said...

Ted -- I KNOW!!!
too many choices that night. I wanted to go, I heard it was amazing.

 
At September 30, 2008 7:45 PM, Blogger Andy @ Tympanogram said...

I'd leave the Dr. Dog show because they're from Philly. That's reason enough, if they're Phillies fans.

 
At October 04, 2008 1:39 PM, Blogger Bartholamew Twang said...

Thank You for the music and link for Delta Spirit. I saw them in Ft Worth with Seth Kauffman (aka Floating Action).

 
At October 08, 2008 7:11 PM, Blogger bunnyknose said...

I also saw Dr. Dog with Delta Spirit...what an amazing show. Has anyone seen Delta Spirit at Raggedmag.com?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter