I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chester French accomplishes more in the dorm basement than you ever did sophomore year, lazy slacker

So the story goes that a pair of Harvard boys get bored and decide to record an album in their dorm basement. A lot of things happened in my various dorm basements but nothing that sounded this good; I think it was too dark with those half-lit humming fluorescent lights, the broken foosball tables, and slightly dodgy-looking couches that you knew had some sketch tales to tell.

So what did Chester French conjure up there instead? Think robust strings over crisp and sexy beats, some chiming mid '60s guitar . . . and they get all Zombies here at the beginning of this track. What's your name / who's your daddy?

She Loves Everybody - Chester French

and - you know hear it:
Time of the Season (alternate mix) - The Zombies

Go traipse on over to their MySpace now and listen to "People" . . . then try and tell me that doesn't make your day significantly better. So pleasing that I've already used it on a mix. Chester French's debut album Love the Future is forthcoming in 2008 on Pharrell Williams' Star Trak label.

Chester French is performing at Red Rocks on Sunday, September 14th at the Monolith Festival.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sometimes interesting things come out of my dorm room...some friends and I redid Sensual Seduction by Snoop Dogg for a contest called "Room Renovation"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJAr6FrzuQg

but that's just us. i try to record songs sometimes, and it doesn't always go too well, haha.

 
At April 16, 2008 11:14 AM, Blogger AAA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 16, 2008 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! i was just reading about Chester French and totally wondering what they sounded like. Thanks for sharin!

 
At April 16, 2008 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heather, chester french sounds extremely good ! thank you. please let us know when the CD comes out!

 
At April 16, 2008 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dorm basement had washers and dryers--nothing more!

 
At April 16, 2008 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa whoa whoa, I wrote some pretty damn good papers in my dorm basement... actually that's not true, the only thing I used my basement for was playing pool and ping pong and working out. And of course chilling on the sketchy couches. I've since moved out of the dorms, and I kind of miss those days, but I sleep well at night knowing that I've got nothing but sketchy couches in my future for at least the next few years.

 
At April 17, 2008 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice find! Thanks for sharing =)

My dorm didn't have a basement. =/

 
At April 17, 2008 9:06 AM, Blogger AAA said...

Seriously. I feel cheated for not having a basement now!
____
New York music blog: www.returnticketmusic.com

 
At April 17, 2008 1:34 PM, Blogger Bona Fide Darling said...

Heather, you're right, Chester French is the goodness. I really did "The Jimmy Choo's" on their Myspace.

 
At April 18, 2008 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the New Yorkers here: Chester French was just added to the lineup for Studio B's "Rooftop Launch Party."

More info @ TheMusic.FM

 
At April 18, 2008 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they not both a little "Stand by Me"?

 
At June 18, 2008 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter