I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, December 23, 2006

My heart's beatin' rhythm and my soul keeps on singin' the blues: Rolling Stones Outtakes

How about finding a whole disc full of Rolling Stones gems and studio outtakes from throughout their career that you may not have heard before? Would that warm up your December? Yeah, me too. Hot dang, these are great.

The good folks over at alt.rocknroll.stones put together this ace collection -- and since it's chosen by the uberfans, you know it's the best of the best outtakes. From the recognizable opening riff of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" and other covers, into the loose-bluesy groove and straight-up Rolling Stones sound you love, this collection got me very excited.

Don't miss the sad and sweet vibe of "Stuck Out All Alone" or the electric groove of "Memo From Turner." Lots of studio banter on several of these, joking around and musical experimentation. The instrumental "Ivy League" is very appealing, and dig the screams that start off "Livin' In A Harder Love."

This is a rough and fun collection, vital listening.


The tracklist for these Stones goodies is:

Roll Over Beethoven (1964, Chuck Berry cover)
Crackin' Up (1964, Bo Diddley cover)
Beautiful Delilah (1964, Chuck Berry cover)
And Mr. Spector and Mr. Pitney Came Too (1965 - instrumental version of Andrews Blues)
Lookin' Tired (1966 outtake)
Stuck Out All Alone / Hamburger To Go (1968)
Memo From Turner (1968)
Ain't Gonna Lie (1970)
Good Time Woman (1971)
Livin' In A Harder Love (1974)
Yellow Cab (Do You Think I Care?) (1978)
My First Plea (1978, Jimmy Reed cover)
Claudine (Long version, 1979)
No Spare Parts (1978 outtake)
Strictly Memphis (Step On It) (1985)
Ivy League (mostly instrumental, 1994)
Zip Mouth Angel (1994)
Middle Of The Sea (1994)
Cocaine Blues (1994, trad/Bob Dylan cover)

ZIP IT UP, BABY
I found these over at my friend Rich's fine blog, which is also currently hosting some rad Beatles "Revolution" bootleg material, and always unearthing great music. I also got a lot of background info on these version at this fine site for the very thorough.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At December 24, 2006 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tunes

 
At December 24, 2006 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry Christmas Heather
your blog has been one of my three home pages for a while now (gotta love Firefox hehe) and I don't thank you half as much as I should but you are awesome- the posts and music is always great, stumbling across you as really a massive PJ fan you've now converted me to love Ryan Adams, Ray LaMontagne and Springsteen to name but a few...

So have a good Christmas and keep up this amazing work :)

 
At December 24, 2006 7:58 AM, Blogger Victor said...

I´ve discovered now this blog, great job Heather!
merry christmas!

 
At December 24, 2006 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Stones files, "Spare Parts" comes out on the zip file, but is not there on the mp3 download, it is labled "Claudine."

 
At December 24, 2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Jeff C. said...

Merry Christmas Heather. And thanks for your blog - it's one of my favorite places on the Internet.

 
At December 24, 2006 8:55 PM, Blogger AnAcRóNicO? said...

me encantó tu blog
te conocí gracias a Mazzy Star
y sus canciones
(Culto a Mazzy Star)
bye

--

I enchanted your blog,
I knew you thanks to Mazzy Star and its songs.
(Cult to Mazzy Star)
Thank you by that Gift
bye

 
At December 27, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Daddy Rich said...

Oh wow, Heather has mentioned me in her fine blog - Now I can die happy! Hope you had a greta holiday and you and yours have an evern greater New Year.
Rich

 
At January 06, 2007 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much for these!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter