I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, February 27, 2006

Monday Music Roundup

Well, I am safely back from my work trip/junket to sunny California with a touch of a sunburn and a smile on my face.
My flight home was canceled once we had already boarded the plane Friday night, so we all unwedged ourselves from our tiny seats, waited in an immense line for rebooking and our $400 travel voucher, and then proceeded to heartily make the best of it with some cool fellow young-'un passengers and the help of a cheesy bar at the hotel they put us all up at. It was like LOST, minus the crashing part, the black thing in the jungle that eats people, and all the freaky "coincidences." But we had the camaraderie. And I apparently have brought back a slice of Cali with me because it is pushing 70 in Colorado today, and that is something to pause and enjoy. Life is good, kids.

Black Sweat
Prince
Oh yeah, I just posted Prince on my blog. Truth be told, the Great Tiny Sexy One kind of scares me (in the same vein as David Bowie in the underrated '80s classic Labyrinth), but this song is funky and sexy and should make you stand up in your cubicle and kind of grind a little bit. Feel it. Just make sure the boss isn't looking. From his upcoming album '3121', out on March 21.

I Need Someone
John Davis (formerly of Superdrag)
Okay, now stop gyrating your pelvis from the Prince bizness immediately because John Davis has found God and cleaned up his act. And he has been making some pretty dang sweet music since then. This is a live track from Maxwell's on 4/8/05, right after the release of his self-titled album John Davis, which is just laden with harmonies, lovely piano, and some intelligent and introspective lyrics.

Sugar Blue Too
Jeff Finlin
This one comes courtesy of wonder-fan Vangelis who sends me good stuff from the scenic shores of Greece. Jeff Finlin was featured on the Elizabethtown soundtrack (I still have not seen that movie! Argh!) - and I like Finlin's folksy Dylanesque-ballad Americana sound with the piano backing. The lyrics talks about 'walking the streets so dark,' and that is exactly what this song makes me think of. From his 2005 CD Somewhere South of Wonder. Thanks for everything, Vangelis.

Better Way
Ben Harper
This is the new one from Ben Harper, off his upcoming new album Both Sides of the Gun, due March 21. Ben Harper is one of my first and deepest musical loves, ever since he sang me a song for my 16th birthday. Yeah, we go way back. This song has a slightly middle-eastern feel to it, and listen to Ben crank it out towards the end. Check him out on tour, he is always amazing in his passion and his virtuosity with that Weissenborn.

Ghost
Ryan Adams
from the Technical Cowboy Services Sessions
I think I love Ryan Adams the most when his voice cracks because he is not worried about perfection, he is worried about expressing his emotion. And that is a beautiful thing (and exactly what is wrong with most of the contestants on American Idol - the exception being Taylor Hicks - but that is an embarrassing sidenote best kept to myself, eh?). Thanks to Jennings for unearthing and posting the Cowboy Technical Services (mini) Session with Ryan Adams, containing this and two other great songs.

Now, doesn't all that make the upcoming week seem a little bit brighter, tiger?

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are always welcome.

I hope you received the last group of songs i sent you...

Thanks

 
At February 28, 2006 6:59 AM, Blogger Tim Young said...

Thanks for the Ben Harper Track!

 
At February 28, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger David Emprimo said...

Glad you made it home safely.

Great blog you've got here; keep up the good work!

 
At February 28, 2006 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely I’m becoming addict to your posts… thanks for the Ben Harper Track.

Don’t forget to check out www.muzzleofbees.com, “Uwmryan” posted a recording of Ben Harper with The Blind boys of Alabama… Soulfully awesome!!!

 
At February 28, 2006 3:17 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

damn, i like that ragged Ryan Adams track...

 
At February 28, 2006 9:27 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

i had never heard of Jeff Finlin before, but i'm liking what i'm hearing...very cool

 
At May 30, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

i seem to have misplaced my copy of this... any help i can get?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter