I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Chris Isaak is at his best today

I saw a really bad almost infomercial-like commercial for the new Best of Chris Isaak CD coming out today (although it did have a lot of nice eye candy of Isaak rolling around with supermodels and looking generally very hot).

The CD features 14 hits from native San Francisco's favorite son - well, Stockton actually (including some good songs that didn't get a lot of radio play, so if you are a casual fan they might sound new). The disc also has four "new" tracks: a concert-favorite cover of Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me" (I do Chris), an acoustic version of the lovely melancholic gem "Forever Blue," and two new original songs, "King Without A Castle" and "Let's Have A Party." I just downloaded "King Without A Castle" on iTunes, and to quote the imitable Randy Jackson, "It was just okay for me, dawg."

I much prefer these two songs:

"Best I Ever Had" - Chris Isaak
(this is a superb summer song, should have been on the new CD. This was a b-side to the Australian "Let Me Down Easy" single)

"Baby Did A Bad, Bad Thing (Eyes Wide Shut remix)" - Chris Isaak
(just when I thought that it wasn't possible for this song to sound either more dirty or more sexy)

You can stream the entire new album on Mp3.com and enjoy the manliest falsetto this side of Roy.

There is also a Best of Chris Isaak DVD coming out today with a whole bunch of his music videos (so you can, in fact, watch him roll around in the sand with Helena Christensen and ogle Laeticia Casta all the livelong day).

4 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris Isaak is my guilty pleasure. I hid his cd's from my friends when we were slamming to Social D and Stiff Little Fingers. His songs make me think of driving with the top down with a barefoot woman in a red dress. I do hate greatest hits albums though. I noticed Poison has a greatest hits album out too, but I passed it up for the new Pearl Jam.

 
At May 09, 2006 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out if you haven't already, How to Save a Life from a band called The Fray

 
At May 10, 2006 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell people all the time that if there is one singer that I would want to be, it would be Mr. Isaak. This guy has the whole package: looks, voice, just the right amount of aloof swagger. Highly underrated.

 
At May 10, 2006 7:09 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Wow, anon. Recommending a band with commercials on VH1. Alrighty then.

On another note, Chris Isaak has a hell of a voice and persona. He's like if James Dean grew up to be a seductive crooner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter