I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A few Wednesday night randoms

1) A hundred times worse than American Idol: GoogleIdol. Check out these awful, awful, wonderful videos. I voted for "Rockin' The Bury" with their well-choreographed performance of Eye Of The Tiger (wait, I'm behind this bush - no wait! that one!), although it was close with The Baylor Studs, who SO recorded that Kelly Clarkson tribute in a dorm room (and nice touch with the bubbles being blown in by someone off-camera).

2) People who like The Clash (or even worse, who sing along!!) are dangerous types. Terrorists, you're all terrorists.

3) Stereogum has a really nice, low-key "new" track from trip-hopsters Massive Attack, "Live With Me." Visit Stereogum to get the mp3.

4) There is an interesting article in Paste Magazine about Ethan Johns and his production work with Ryan Adams. Maybe this will help me understand the whole obscure concept of how production affects a record. I know, I know.

5) I am going to see Live in Denver in May and am so excited. Worth noting that they are currently on tour supporting their new album, and you definitely should check them out. I have seen them live a few times before and have always been pretty impressed (esp that one time at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley with the Counting Crows). Their new stuff sounds pretty melodic and rockin, more of a return to Throwing Copper era, and even the EXCELLENT The Distance To Here. You can download the 'Guitars Up' remix of their new song "The River" (which I heavily dig) from the excellent Fans Of Live site.

6) I've got something in the works about Continuum's excellent 33 1/3 novella series, where various writers tackle their favorite albums, sharing their thoughts and why they love that particular musical opus. Until I finish that, Largehearted Boy had the same idea and has some notes from the author (Alex Green) about the new one about The Stone Roses.


7) Remember 'zines? This guy does. Read the interesting article that took me down memory lane. I think 'zines were the first blogs. Same egalitarian fan-produced concept, eh?

8) Finally, kids, Leg 2 of the Pearl Jam tour was announced today and I am stoked. I've never been to the Pepsi Center in Denver (but just the name gives me corporate shivers). I was hoping for Red Rocks, but the Denver shows (and MN) are with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, which is RAD RAD RAD, so I have no complaints:

Jun-23 Pittsburgh, PA
(Mellon Arena)
Jun-24 Cincinnati, OH
(US Bank Arena)
Jun-26 & 27 St. Paul, MN
(Xcel Energy Center)
Jul-2 & 3 Denver, CO
(Pepsi Center)
Jul-6 Las Vegas, NV
(MGM Garden Arena)
Jul-7 San Diego, CA
(Cox Arena)
Jul-13 Santa Barbara, CA
(Santa Barbara Bowl)
Jul-16 & 18 San Francisco, CA
(Bill Graham Civic Auditorium)
Jul-22 George, WA
(Gorge Amphitheater )

13 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 11:38 PM, Blogger tsiakhyie said...

dope blog!

 
At April 06, 2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Heather, I check your blog everyday. Thanks for introducing me to new music. I have a book recommendation for you, "The Unsettling" by Peter Rock. A short story collection that just came out in hardback. As a disclaimer I "unofficially" run his website and badly I should also add. Only reason I mentioned is that I saw your list of recent reading and thought he fits nicely in there.

 
At April 06, 2006 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so how is it that Phoenix is getting the shaft - or will there be a leg 3???

 
At April 06, 2006 8:27 AM, Blogger heather said...

aaron, phoenix is getting the shaft because the forces that be want you to come to denver. :)

 
At April 06, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger heather said...

Ooh! Dan, but have you listened to The Distance To Here? I, too, hadn't really liked anything since Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper, but The Distance To Here is one of my favorite discs. It is just so, so good. Give it three re-listens and then check back with me. :)
Run To The Water?
Stood Up For Love?
Dance With You?

Ridiculous.

 
At April 06, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Styeiles said...

this GoogleIdol thing is hilarious! Thanks for tellin me!

 
At April 06, 2006 11:39 AM, Blogger John Left said...

I found this blog through your interview on Netlogged. I am totally hooked! You should be writing for ROLLING STONE!

Now, about the Clash---a bit harsh, perhaps? Tell me "Rock the Casbah" didn't start your toes a-tapping? Ah well, it's all subjective.

I too am anticipating Pearl Jam's new album. I was once a big fan of theirs, but they lost me 'round about "No Code" and the numerous, identical live albums. I hope this new disc's a return to the hallowed days of "Ten" and "Vs.".

I will be a regular reader of yours. You are an original voice; keep up the great blogging!

 
At April 06, 2006 1:01 PM, Blogger heather said...

Nooooo nooooo nooo no no, I love the Clash. That was sarcasm. You're a new reader (welcome!) so you don't know my tone yet. I thought the article was like a really bad joke. To be detained over singing along with London Calling means we should all be in jail. :)

Thanks for reading, John!

 
At April 06, 2006 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw those dates in Denver. Sucks, but I'll be partying in LA for 4th of July festivities i.e. blind drunken mayhem.

Hopefully they add some NYC shows that I can fly out too. PJ always save the best for New York anyways...

 
At April 06, 2006 11:57 PM, Blogger Eric said...

The Clash is the greatest band of all time. I don't think I can read this blog anymore even if you were just joking. :)

 
At April 07, 2006 4:54 AM, Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

just because of that, i went out and bought london calling on vinyl last night. im hoping to get on some gov't watchlist.

 
At April 08, 2006 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard over the Googleidol thing. The "Since U Been Gone" one is awesome, you can hear chicks laughing in the background. Oh, my sides! Thanks. : )

Kristy

 
At April 22, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Jon said...

love your blog. thnak god an American with some sense of irony (i think, er, scary if not). And someone at last who recognises the true evil of the Clash (why were cool folk fooled in thinking they were gods?). Mind you, take care over those 33 and 1/3 books - great idea, but I feel they're a mixed bunch.

cheers,

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter